Home > Reading Room > Designs Abroad

Designs Abroad

Written by Jane Coyle on 23 May 2008

« Return to Reading Room


Registering your design in the United Kingdom (UK) does not protect it abroad. If you want to protect your design in countries other than the UK, you can do this in two ways. You can apply for a Registered Community Design with the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) which is based in Alicante, Spain.A Registered Community Design gives protection in all countries of the European Union (EU). If you want to protect your design in individual counties you generally have to make a separate application to each country in which you want protection.If you apply to register your design in a country like the UK that has signed the 'International Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property', you can claim 'priority' from your earliest application for the same design in another Convention country, as long as you apply within six months of the earliest filing date in that Convention country.

If you'd like to know more about this article please send an email to Unknown quoting the article title and any questions you might have, alternatively call the office number on 02380 235 979 or send an enquiry through our contact form.

Want to speak
to someone?

Complete the form below and we’ll call you back free of charge.

Visual Captcha